Cancer is a disease that comes unwelcomingly in a diverse manner. Even though cancer can attack any part of the body (skin and non-skin), one of the cancers which have been found rapidly growing in the entire world among men is Prostate Cancer. The prostate is a small walnut-shaped gland in the pelvis of men, located next to the bladder. The main function of the prostate is to secrete a fluid that nourishes and protects the sperms.
Prostate cancer begins when the cells present in the prostate gland start to grow abnormally. These abnormal cells are further multiplied in an uncontrollable manner and give rise to Prostate Cancer.
Prostate Cancer can be classified into 2 sub-categories on the basis of the speed at which it grows:
- Aggressive – The tumor grows at a quick pace and also has the possibility of spreading to other parts of the body
- Non-Aggressive – The tumor either doesn’t grow or grows at a very slow speed over time.
There are often no symptoms during the early stages of cancer, but screening can detect changes. However, the advanced stages of prostate cancer can have some concerning symptoms.
Symptoms of Prostate Cancer
- Frequent urination
- Blood in urine or semen
- Painful urination
- Painful ejaculation
- Difficulty maintaining an erection
- Pain and discomfort while sitting
There are various factors that can contribute to the development of prostate cancer.
Causes of Prostate Cancer
- Prostate inflammation
- Family history
- Sexually transmitted infections
However, for all the causes that there might be, one can always take a precautionary step.
Prevention of Prostate Cancer
- Eat and maintain a healthy diet
- Eat a low-fat diet
- Reduce the number of dairy products
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Avoid smoking
- Exercise regularly