Bones are the base of our body. Our body depends on our bones. They help the body to endure and survive. However, cancer can even affect our bones too. Bone cancer begins in the bones. These malignant cells start growing aggressively and have the potential to spread to other parts of the body too.
This cancer is one of the rare cancers as it is 1 percent of total cancer found. Despite this, it is dangerous cancer. Essentially it happens in the long bones like the bones of legs and arms yet it can happen in any bone of the body. In a large portion of cases, the principal symptom of this cancer appears as a mild pain in bones and grows gradually and becomes intense. All tumors in the bones are not cancerous always; in fact, non-cancerous tumors are found more than cancerous tumors in bone.
In this article, we are going to figure out some basic knowledge about the cancer of bones.
Risk factors of Bone Cancer
Here are some conditions that may increase your risk of getting bone cancer.
- Genetics:If anyone from your family has or had bone cancer then your chances of getting this cancer are a little high.
- Radiation Therapy:If you had undergone radiation therapy due to any reason then there are slight chances that it may affect the tumor in the bone. However, the chances of this factor are very low.
- Bone diseases:People suffering from bone diseases are more likely to develop bone cancer.
Type of bone cancer
Instead of being a single disease, cancer of bone is a group of various diseases. It is formed in several types. Here we have some foremost types of this cancer. Do check it out about these types.
- Multiple myeloma
- Osteosarcoma (Osteogenic sarcoma)
- Ewing’s sarcoma
- Multiple myeloma: –It is one of the common types of cancer of the bones. It usually occurs in the cells of the bone marrow. It causes tumors in the bone marrow. It occurs in old-aged people often.
- Osteosarcoma: –This type of bone cancer mostly happens in children but there are possibilities that it could affect adults too. It occurs in the long bones and especially in their tips. It may occur in the hips and shoulder. It affects the tissues of the bones too. It is another popular type of cancer of the bones.
- Chondrosarcoma: It is cancer that occurs in the thigh areas, shoulder, and pelvis. It starts in cartilage cells. Cartilage plays an important role in the growth of bones. It affects the bones and the joints. It is the second common type of cancer of bones. 20 percent of bone cancers are found as Chondrosarcoma. Bone bumps and sickness are the main causes of this cancer.
- Ewing’s sarcoma: It is one of the rare types of bone cancer that begin in the soft tissues of the bones. It occurs in young adults and children. The commonly affected areas are the arms, legs, and pelvis. This cancer causes lumps and swelling. They can be noticed when they have grown quite large. They may recur within the two years of the treatment or after many years as well.
Bones are the support system of the body. The imagination of our existence without bones is impossible thus we have to take care of our bones in the best way possible.
Bone cancer is dangerous cancer and needs to be treated on time. Any cancer can only be treated if the patient is aware of that. For such awareness, we need to know this cancer. In this article, we have provided some essential information for the cancer of bones.