You might not have been prepared to hear the diagnosis of your cancer, but you can very well be prepared for the treatment of cancer you’ve been diagnosed with. Even small measures and preparation can help you be in control of your state. It is normal for you to be anxious before the treatment start, but in order to get rid of anxiety, it is always helpful to start a step ahead of the treatment and equip yourself with the measures. Being prepared beforehand will help you overcome anxiety and a sense of uncertainty. Some ways you can prepare yourself for the cancer treatment are listed below:
- Know all about your cancer – The best way to combat fears is to know it all. Read more and more about your cancer type and consult with your doctor if you have any queries regarding the same. Knowing all about your disease prepares you in advance for all sorts of possibilities.
- Connect with people – It’s a good start to connect with people who have been through the same. They can help you understand your cancer on a more personal level and tell you what to expect out of its treatment from their experience. They can also help you prepare in advance and tell you all the requirements. In general, connecting with people who have been through the same disease can help shape your perspective.
- Understand the treatment – Before actually getting the treatment, you should know what the cancer treatment does to your body and how it will treat cancer. Learning about the treatments might seem complicated at first, but once you get a hold of it, it becomes easier. Also, reading about the basics of the options available can help you feel at ease while discussing the treatment options with your doctor.
- Expect changes – Prepare yourself for changes in your appearance. Cancer treatments like chemotherapy and radiation therapy might cause hair loss, weight loss, or have other side effects. You won’t want to be caught off guard when it comes to the side effects because they can impact you emotionally. Before the treatment, ask your doctor what you should be expecting out of the treatment.
- Adopt Healthy Habits – It is essential for you to take care of your mental and physical health before you start the treatment. You can improve your mental health through meditation. It can help you calm the nerve and anxiety. You can also consider talking to a therapist who is specialized in this. As for your physical health, you should make sure you eat healthy foods and exercise if you can.
- Prepare your groceries – Try to make sure you have an ample amount of healthy, nutritious food and drinks in your house. You can also prepare some meals ahead of time so that you won’t have the burden to do it post your treatments
- Stock your medical supplies – It is a smart thing to keep certain medical-related items handy like your dressing supplies, prescribed medicines, thermometer, etc.
- Pick your companion – Having someone with you during your cancer treatments can help you feel less anxious. They can help drive you to your treatment, get in touch with the doctor, ask questions on your behalf, understand home medication, help you cope with the psychological impacts of the treatments, etc.
Despite all these measures, if you still feel anxious or fear your treatment, get in touch with your doctor and let them know your fears. They can help you get at ease before you begin with your treatment.