Experts say the majority of cancers are preventable only if people adopt a healthier way of living. So, if only by making healthier lifestyle choices we can reduce the risk of developing a disease like cancer, why not? Let’s have a look at some of the habits you can cultivate in your day-to-day lifestyle for cancer prevention.
Cancer Prevention Tips
- Avoid smoking – Lung cancer is a leading cause of death and it’s also the most preventable type of cancer. If you stop the use of tobacco, your risk of developing cancer drops. Using tobacco not only leads to lung cancer but other types of cancer as well, such as leukemia, pancreatic, kidney, and bladder cancer
- Eat healthy foods – Right diet is the key to averting cancer risks. It is essential for one to consume plenty of fruits and non-starchy vegetables like broccoli, spinach, carrots, etc. Consumption of these can help you prevent oral, oesophageal, and stomach cancer. Certain fruits may also help in the prevention of lung cancer. Foods like hot dogs, bacon, and other forms of processed meat may increase your risk of colorectal cancer
- Minimize your alcohol consumption – Heavy drinking increases your chances of developing oral, throat, liver, and oesophageal cancers. The more you drink, the higher is the risk. One should keep their alcohol consumption in moderation
- Avoid excessive sun exposure – Skin cancer is one of the most common forms of cancer and the biggest cause of it is too much exposure to UV light. So, avoid excessive sun exposure especially between 10:00 am and 4:00 pm when the sun is intense
- Maintain a healthy weight – As we already know, obesity can lead to issues like heart disease and diabetes. It not only does that but also raises the risk of several kinds of cancer like colon and breast cancer. Fatty tissues can disturb the balance of certain hormones which can further lead to the development of tumors. So, it’s essential to maintain a healthy weight in order to keep the risk of developing cancer minimal
- Exercise regularly – Physical activity has been linked to a reduced risk of colon cancer. Exercising reduces the risk by keeping a check on the weight, reducing obesity, and strengthening the immune system