Colon cancer is a condition when the cells of the colon or rectum become cancerous. The colon is a part of the big intestine. It is also menacing cancer as it affects our digestive system. A healthy digestive system is much needed for a healthy body thus we need to know about the cancer of the colon.
The main function of the colon is to detach water and nutrients from the digested food. Food and colon are interrelated with each other as the works of the colon depend on the food. Eating good and healthy food and avoiding unhealthy food can help you in the cancer of the colon.
In this article, we are going to dive deeper to know that what we should eat for colon cancer and what shouldn’t be in our diet for the same, but before it, we should have some basic understanding of this cancer such as symptoms and causes of it.
Symptoms & Causes of Colon Cancer
Symptoms: – Usually the symptoms of colon cancer are not visible in the early stages and we can see the symptoms as soon as cancer starts growing. Some of the common symptoms are following: –
- Persistence change in bowel habits
- Rectal bleeding
- Pain and discomfort
Causes: – If we would be known that why is the particular disease happening then we can stop it from occurring. In the same way, we can reduce the risk of the occurrence of colon cancer if we would have known its causes. Here are some causes for the cancer of the colon.
- Family history
- Bad diet
- Low nutrition
- Unhealthy lifestyle
Now it’s time to come on our main topic that is the food we should eat and what we shouldn’t eat at all.
Food to eat
Some foods are rich in the nutrients that our colon needs to endure and eating those foods helps our colon and immune system to fight that cancer. Here is a list of some of those foods
Let’s have a look at them
- Fish: Fish is rich in omega-3 fatty acids that affect as an anti-inflammatory element and reduce the inflammation of the digestive system. Inflammation in the intestine is one of the causes of colon cancer thus eating fish can help to reduce the risk of colon cancer.
- Fruits: Fruits are loaded with antioxidants and fibers and these help in numerous digestive problems. Including fruits in your diet helps your health in various ways. Apple, kiwi, oranges, strawberries, cranberries are considered some of the best fruits to eat.
- Whole Grains: Other than fruits, whole grains are considered a good source of fiber. Oatmeal, Brown rice, Brown bread, etc. are some best options for whole grains. Whole grains also reduce the risk of various heart diseases thus consuming it will be a good step to your health. So start eating whole grains.
- Nuts: Nuts are known as a superfood to eat because of some miracle happening benefits of them. Eating it reduces the risk of developing colon cancer as they are high in fiber, vitamins, and other nutrients. Almonds and cashews are the top choices in nuts to include in our diet.
Foods to avoid
Some foods help in colon cancer but not all foods. Some foods are considered unhealthy in this cancer thus it is advisable to detach them from your meals. Do check it below that what are these foods?
- Red and processed meat
- Hot dogs
- Salted foods
- Eggs in excess
- Canned food
- Sugar-sweetened food
- Carbonated beverages
The above foods do increase the risk of cancer of the colon and need to be avoided to eat.
Cancer affects the body drastically and needs to be treated on time. For better and timely recovery, we do need to eat well according to the requirement of the body.
In this article, we have discussed some of the foods that are advantageous for our body and some foods that would harm you in this menacing cancer. Hope it would boost your knowledge and awareness.