Diabetes is a disease that is related to our diet to a large extent. Food plays various roles in our body ranging from minor to major. It not only gives us energy and helps to endure but also prevents various diseases. Food contains numerous nutrients that are used in various activities in the body.
Studies have proven that a healthy diet is a way to achieve good health. In every disease, a healthy diet is considered the first recommendation. Thus healthy diet also helps in diabetes. Here we are going to discuss the diet for diabetes. The word diet does not only refer to what to eat, it refers to what to avoid as well.
What to eat in diabetes?
There are too many foods that are considered healthy to reduce the risk of diabetes. Everybody should invite them to their diet.
- Whole grains
- Olive oil
- Leafy Greens
Let’s have a brief description of the above.
- Whole grain: Whole grains help in controlling obesity that is the foremost cause of diabetes. It also contains some minerals that help in insulin resistance. Whole grains are also good for the digestive system as they are easily digestive. Intake of whole grains can lower your cholesterol level as well.
- Olive oil: Olive oil is high in antioxidants that can lower the damage caused by high blood sugar. It also reduces the complications of diabetes and helps indigestion too. Olive oil lowers the inflammation too. Apart from this, the consumption of olive oil can lead you towards improved cardiovascular health. Thus using olive oil in diabetes is a good idea.
- Almonds: Almonds are considered nutritionally rich as they contain various nutrients. They are helpful in diabetes too as they can reduce the unusual hike of glucose in the blood. Almonds contain protein, fiber, copper calcium, and so many nutrients. That is not only helpful in diabetes but also helpful for overall health. Almonds are very beneficial in Prediabetes. Thus almonds are called diabetes-friendly nuts.
- Avocados: Avocados are one of the most popular fruit among all fruits as they contain numerous health benefits. Avocados are a rich source of fiber and they don’t contain a high amount of sugar. They also help in reducing obesity. Along with diabetes avocados are also helpful in various diseases.
- Leafy green vegetables: Green and leafy vegetables are suggested to eat to reduce the chances of getting diabetes. They are high in fibers and other important nutrients. They are considered good for the heart as well. Spinach, Coriander, Broccoli, Kale are some of the ideal green vegetables that are good for diabetes.
What to avoid In diabetes
It is true that a healthy diet helps in diabetes but eating some unhealthy food can lead to some negative impacts. Here is a list of some foods that we should avoid to reduce the risk of diabetes.
- White bread
- Canned food
- Sugar beverages
- Processed meat
- Deep-fried food
- Refined grains
- Fruit yogurt
- Added sugars
Intake of the above foods can increase your chances of getting diabetes, so it is advised to limit or avoid these foods.
Diabetes is a dangerous disease that nobody ever wants to face. By following some Health measures we can fight diabetes. Food is the primary source of energy for every creature. It not only helps us to survive but also saves us from various diseases.
Some healthy foods that can be beneficial in diabetes are mentioned here. Intake of them will affect your health positively. Along with that, some unhealthy food that increases the chance f diabetes are also mentioned here so that you can avoid taking them